Posted by Rick Civelli | 02.21.2011 | Surfer of the Week
WB Surf Camp Surfer of the Week for February 21, 2011 – "Fast" Eddie Gutterman
This guy was a Surf Camp Legend before I ever arrived here as part of the WB Surf Camp family. He continues to bring the best stories, jokes, and just pure stoke to our Adult Travel Camps, along with his lovely wife Debbie. “Fast” Eddie is a self proclaimed “repeat offender”. A common term derived from our returning campers within the Adult Travel Camp clients’ vocabulary. Hailing from Kentucky, Fast just keeps the positive energy alive by pushing through any physical obstacles life has presented him, to keep coming back each year to experience and add to the Aloha and Pura Vida that exist throughout our camps. Check him out below, as he is our first, in a series of, Surfer of the Week…
1. What drew you to WB Surf Camp? Location, location, location!
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? I have two favorites, Steven and Jason from WB Surf Camp. Just watching them surf makes you want to be better.
3. When did you start surfing and where? About 10 years ago at Costa Azul in San Francisco, Mexico.
4. What is your favorite surf break? Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? When I was around 10 years old my family would vacation around beaches on the east coast. I remember seeing some older boys surfing and just had to try it. Well 40 years later I got my chance.
6. Where was your most memorable session? Last year at Playa Avellanas it was such a high, the waves, the people the food, everything had a vibe I never felt before.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? B.V.I. Josiahs Bay. I got scooped off my board and pushed down to the sandy bottom and was held down for what seemed to be forever.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? Fuel TV , raising unusual plants, running from my pups.
9. What is your favorite movie? Step into Liquid and all the new James Bond movies with Daniel Craig.
10. What is your favorite music? As long as it has a beat it’s got me.
11. What is your favorite food? Anything from Costa Rica.
12. What is the best thing you like about WB Surf Camp? The friendships that have evolved into a real bond that is unlike anything else I’ve experienced
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: My family and my friends and my pets.