Posted by Rick Civelli | 01.17.2012 | Surfer of the Week
WB Surf Camp Featured Surfer of the Week for 1.16.12 – Hayden Dibona
Hailing from Charleston, South Carolina, Hayden came to shred with us during our Teen Outer Banks surf adventure last summer. Already a progressive surfer, Hayden came hoping for some more challenging waves to further improve his skills and receive our professional coaching. Much to his delight, he got both, as well as an unbelievably great time touring the Outer Banks while making new friends. Hayden always had a smile on his face and was always amped to get in the water and have a good time. We hope to see more of him and others like him, as he brought a great positive attitude and was always helpful with cooking, cleaning, and group activities. Read on to find out more about this awesome southern surfer!
1. What drew you to WB Surf Camp? My mom found it online and we got a pamphlet in the mail. It looked like a ton of fun so I decided to come.
2. Which instructor had the biggest impact on you? I think Jason had the biggest impact on me. He is super energetic and great with people. He also was very active in his way of teaching. His advice was so helpful.
3. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Well, I think my favorite surfer is Jason. I actually got to meet him and surf with him. He’s a cool dude and a great camp counselor.
4. When did you start surfing and where? I started surfing on Sullivan’s Island. We were staying there for a summer until we found a good place to live. There is no surf there, but my dad and I bought our first surfboard and gave it a try. I really started to surf on the Isle of Palms. I still surf there.
5. What is your favorite surf break? Isle of Palms is where I go the most; however, whenever I get a chance I like to go to Folly Beach. The waves are better there and it has a lot of character.
6. What inspired you to start surfing? I saw people surfing and it looked like fun. To be honest, the first year of surfing I did not like it at all. My dad kept making me go and I grew to crave it. I love surfing today and forever.
7. Describe your most memorable session? When I was at camp the last day’s swell was not expected, but when it showed up it was awesome! I had so much fun and learned a ton that day.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I swim year round. I am on the Mt Pleasant Swim Club. I go to practice five times a week for an hour and half each day. Most of my friends are swimmers and it is also good exercise for surfing.
9. What is your favorite movie? My favorite movie is Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.
10. What is your favorite music? I listen to a lot of different things. I like Rap, Rock, country, and a even a little bit of techno.
11. What is your favorite food? I love pasta, more specifically egg noodles with my dads marinara sauce.
12. What is the best thing you liked about WB Surf Camp? I loved the positive atmosphere. It made the trip. Everybody is always positive even when we were bagging oysters and we ran out of water. It was still fun and I would do it any day.
13. Which Surf Camp destination do you plan on travelling to next year? I will most likely do the outer banks again. I t is close by and I love the outer banks. Every thing is just a little bit more
14. The three things you value most are: Under my friends and family. I value swimming, school, and surfing. They are my life.