Family Surf Camp at Surf City
This program is run in conjunction with the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher’s Education Department. Our surf camp is located in the warm-water beach town of Kure Beach, North Carolina. During our 3-day learn to surf vacation package, you will get wet and on your way to building confidence in the fundamentals of the “Sport of Kings.”
All surf camps have a minimum student to instructor ratio of 3:1, and are staffed with our professional instructors. Our team consists of trained educators with combined teaching in the thousands of hours on all levels to all types of students. Why not learn to surf while taking advantage of warm emerald green waters and white sandy beaches, and enjoy a week of fun in the sun? We offer both locals and vacationers alike an ecological surfing experience they will never forget. Bring your friends or family to Kure Beach, NC or come by yourself and have an unforgettable adventure that will change your life forever.
Each Surf Camp is 3-days long and taught with a progressional methodology. Camps run Tuesday – Thursday and are filled on a first come/first serve basis. Morning times are 8:45 AM – 11:00AM. Afternoon times are 3:45PM – 6:00PM.
- Extensive daily surfing instruction at perfect beginner beach breaks
- Personalized 3:1 student to instructor coaching and training by certified lifeguards
- All high quality equipment (epoxy surfboard rental, UV 50 longsleeve rashguard)
- Total instruction time of 6 hours
- WB Surf Camp Pre-Surf Stretching Guide
- WB Surf Camp Surfing Etiquette Guide
- WB Surf Camp Sea Turtle/Coastal Conservation Guide
- WB Surf Camp Recycle Tote Bag
- WB Surf Camp sticker
- Surftificate of achievement
- Sponsored by Quiksilver and Roxy
- Amazing value of $195
This low enrollment (max 12) Surf Camp is for ages 11 and up. To secure your spot now, please select from the available date(s) listed below.
There are no available dates for the Family Day Camp at Surf City, North Carolina at this time.
As you head down to the Fort Fisher Recreation Area and see the water, your excitement for camp builds! Today, we’ll take you through “Ground School” on the beach where you’ll learn all about paddling, popping up on the board, and surfing safety measures. Once you’re comfortable with these techniques,we’ll stretch our limbs, getting them nice and loose for our surf session.
We’ll also spend a few minutes discussing wave dynamics and the different types of surf breaks, clarifying that there’s more to being a surfer than just riding a wave. In the water, you’ll have a safe 3:1 camper to instructor ratio, ensuring you receive personalized attention. You’ll paddle out, instructor by your side,giving words of encouragement. When the moment’s right, you’ll feel a push as you glide into the wave, hearing your instructor yell “Pop Up!” You may stand up on your first wave, or it may take you a few tries; every person is different.
Today we’ll have short re-cap of the techniques that you learned in yesterday’s Ground School and a lot of water time. We’ll also host a discussion covering important surf topics like ocean conservation, and surfboard design. You’ll also learn how to properly care for surfboards, how to wax a board and prepare a board for travel.
As you’re out in the waves today, you’ll feel your strength and paddling improve, as your muscle memory begins to take over. You’ll also practice sitting on your board and turning it, a necessary maneuver when surfing. You’re catching more waves today and getting a better grasp on how to read the ocean.
By the last day of camp, you’ll feel a new connection to the ocean and realize the importance of protecting our coastal environment.We’ll have a final discussion covering surfing etiquette and the rules all surfers should follow, for your safety and for those in the water around you. By our final surf session, you’ll be accustomed to wave timing and board positioning; you might even start paddling into your own waves!
This is one of the more challenging aspects of surfing and the only way to learn it is with lots of practice. Your instructor will provide coaching and encouragement as you work on catching your own waves. Who knows? You may even be riding down the line today! At the end of your last session, your muscles will be loose and tired in a new, yet exhilarating way . . . you’re a surfer now!
There are many options available please contact our office for a list of our favorite places to stay.
Chris, Tega Cay, SC – “WB Surf Camp made it easy and enjoyable for my family to take the plunge and catch some waves. From the registration process, through the onsite instruction, and right through the follow-up process they exceeded all of my expectations. The WB Surf Camp apprach to managing their business and educating not only my family, but the greater surfing community, is a testament to an organization that takes the time to do things right. I would highly recommend WB Surf Camp to anyone looking to learn about surfing, surf culture, and/or how to treat their customers right – great job. Thanks for a great day Catching Some Waves!”
Sonya, Cary, NC – “Being a 45-year-old who has never surfed before, I was quite apprehensive. However, our instructors were extremely positive & reassuring. They also took great care of our two teenage boys & made sure they were both safe AND having a great time.”
Maranda, North Myrtle Beach, SC – “WB Surf Camp was awesome! Our instructor Matt was extremely personable, it was like a friend was teaching us to surf instead of a stranger. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn to surf.”
The Strobins, Chapel Hill, NC – “Our experience with WB Surf Camp was fantastic! Wonderful instructor, great equipment, beautiful location, and nice warm water made the entire experience memorable and what I hope to be the foundation of future surfing experiences. Thanks so much!”
Kristi, Chesterfield, SC – “The waves were perfect and the instruction was educational. Not only did we have an awesome time surfing and enjoying the waves, but we learned some valuable things about the ocean and furthering our participation in the surfing community.”
The Beldings, Hillsborough, NC – “ I am 59 years old, just had my first WB Surf Camp lesson, and I loved it! My two daughters also participated in the lesson, and are now very enthusiastic about surfing. Instructors Ben and Meg were fantastic, very positive and encouraging. My youngest daughter had a little difficulty with standing up on the surfboard initially. As the lesson ended, Ben had her try once more, saying he knew she could do it. On that final try, she stood and rode the wave all the way in! I have a picture of both my daughters riding that final wave. Great way to end the lesson! I’ll definitely be back for more.”
Anita, New Berlin, IL – “WB Surf Camp was a great experience for myself and my two children ages 16 and 20. Matt was a very good instructor and overflowing in patience with us and the waves. I would highly recommend Surf Camp and Matt to my family and friends.”
Jennifer, Furlong, PA – “It is difficult to engage teenagers but… you did it! From advising them NOT to each shark soup to keeping them energized while paddling through breakers to the final moment of actually standing on the board and “surfing” my kids loved the entire experience. Thank you for a great day!”
If I have never surfed before, is this camp for me?
- About 90% of our students have never surfed before, let alone held a surfboard. Our program is tailored to beginners. The only prerequisites are that you are able to swim and ready to have the time of your life!
What age range are your students?
- Everyone ages 11 and up are invited to participate in this exciting learn to surf camp!
Do campers ever participate in more than one camp session a summer?
They sure do. They not only participate for several weeks a summer, they usually return for several years. Our small student to instructor ratio of 3:1 allows personalized coaching and continued skill development, plus it is just so much fun!
Where does the camp take place?
- The Kure Beach Surf Camp meets on the beach, at the public beach access located at the Fort Fisher Recreation Area. Kure Beach NC is sandwiched between Carolina Beach and Fort Fisher, and provides access to lots of great watersports and area attractions.
What time does the camp run?
- Surfing is tide dependent and each session runs either in the morning or afternoon, to take full advantage of the best conditions. Camps run either from 8:45 AM – 11:00AM or 3:45PM – 6:00PM, Tuesday through Thursday. The only exception is the week of July 4th, when camp will run on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
What will the water temperature be?
- The water temperature in southeastern North Carolina during the summer months will hover around 80 degrees. These perfect temperatures mean wetsuits are not necessary. We will supply you with a rashguard (equivalent to 50 spf protection) to prevent sunburn and rashes during camp.
How long do your daily seminars last?
- They last approximately 15 minutes, depending on how many questions are asked.
Do I need to have my own surfboard to come to camp?
- No! All equipment is provided. The soft-top surfboards that we use are of the highest quality and are most conducive to safe learning and productive surfing. Equipment type does matter: the Surftech Soft Top surf boards we use are by far the highest quality on the market.
What do I need to bring?
- The only items you need to bring are a bathing suit, sunscreen, towel, and water bottle. We recommend female clients wear board shorts to protect sensitive skin.
Is there a lifeguard at the beach you use? I am worried about some of the safety aspects of a surf camp.
- All our camp instructors hold current American Red Cross Certifications including CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid. We are very proud of our impeccable safety record!
We are traveling to North Carolina from out of town just to come to your camp. Are there hotels, rental properties, or campsites nearby that you can recommend?
- We maintain a list of recommended campsites, hotels, and real estate companies in the area. Please e-mail us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to provide it!
Do you have insurance?
- We carry a comprehensive insurance package, including general liability.