Posted by Rick Civelli | 03.09.2011 | Surfer of the Week
WB Surf Camp Surfer of the Week for March 7, 2011 – Kathy Mann
Our Surfer of the Week hails from our home stomping grounds of Wrightsville Beach, NC. She is a WB Surf Camp Costa Rica veteran and spends every moment she can at home, and in Costa, just straight charging out in the water. Being one of the sweetest and friendliest people you’ll ever meet, it’s hard to imagine her out-paddling you into overhead bombs all day long. But that’s just the kind of thing that makes you a WB Surf Camp Surfer of the Week. Looking back through our photos from Playa Avellanas, she just kept showing up on all the best waves…
1. What drew you to WB Surf Camp? I wanted to take a lesson and contacted WB Surf Camp. I took a couple of lessons, heard about the Costa Rica trip, and went on my first trip 4 years ago.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? My kids are my favorite surfers. To be out in the water with Austin, Charlie and Mary Ashburn is about as cool as it gets.
3. When did you start surfing and where? I first tried surfing about 30 years ago in Nags Head, NC but was too embarrassed that I could not surf. I then picked it up again about 8 years ago at Wrightsville Beach.
4. What is your favorite surf break? My favorite spot here at home is Wrightsville Beach and abroad is Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? I’ve always loved the beach, the ocean and loved to watch surfing. I just had to learn how. It was a challenge.
6. Where was your most memorable session? I think they all are memorable, but last year on my birthday in November a friend got me a pass to Figure 8. I took my 2 boys and 2 of their friends and we had a blast. Waves were perfect for me. Not too big either, maybe waist high, glassy, and just perfect.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? My board popped up and the tail hit me in both thighs. It hurt so bad it took my breath away. I had 2 huge bruises on my thighs for weeks. I had to wear board shorts forever because the bruises were so ugly and took so long to go away.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I like to do Pilates and yoga, go to the movies, and eat in good restaurants.
9. What is your favorite music? I like all kinds of music. I really like blue grass music a lot. I like the different instruments they use.
10. What is your favorite food? When my son Charlie was in preschool for Mother’s Day they asked him what was my favorite food. He said salad. I think a really good salad is my favorite food.
11. What is the best thing you like about WB Surf Camp? That I can come on a vacation with my suitcase and a good book and everything else is taken care of.
12. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: My children and family, friends , and living in such a great place.