Posted by Rick Civelli | 10.06.2010 | Employment
WB Surf Camp Instructor of the Week for October 3rd: Sean Berg
While many of our instructors are young professional college students during the off season, some of our veteran instructors are professional teachers who love to spend their summers in the water. Sean Berg is one of those. A devoted husband and father of two, Sean has been a part of our team since 2007. Sean brings with him his years of educating in the classroom and a relaxed demeanor giving clients an awesome experience throughout the summer.
1. What drew you to a position at Surf Camp? I love to spend time at the beach and in the water. I also love to help other people become aware of the ocean and appreciate the uniqueness of the water! And the smiles on new surfers’ faces are so infectious. I love hooting and cheering for others in the water!
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? My favorite surfer is Joel Tudor because he has amazing style on a longboard but he can also rip a shortboard or anything else. I once saw him ride an ironing board in head high surf! (Not really but I bet he could.)
3. When did you start surfing and where? I started surfing in Kill Devil Hills on the Outer Banks of NC. I started twenty years ago, when I was twenty.
4. What is your favorite surf break? My favorite break is anywhere where the sun is rising, a few friends are sharing waves, the winds are light offshore and the swell is at least waist high.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? I thought it looked like fun and I always enjoyed boogie boarding and bodysurfing.
6. Where was your most memorable session? The last time all of the pieces of answer number four came together! I suppose it was at Wrightsville Beach…
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? Surfing hurricane swell on the south side of Rodanthe Pier I smashed into another surfer and took a big gash to the side of my board. I could not surf the rest of the day and it was a beautiful, but crowded wave that day!
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I enjoy teaching and supporting my children, who are eight and five. They are into skateboarding, basketball, swimming and running so I am too!
9. What is your favorite movie? Endless Summer by Bruce Brown and Easy Rider, directed by Dennis Hopper
10. What is your favorite music? My favorite music is jam band stuff. I like the Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, Dave Matthews, etc.
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? I see myself right here in Wrightsville Beach, spending summers with my family and surfing. I see my teaching career moving into a college level position. Perhaps I will get a PhD…
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: The health and well being of my family. Time spent outdoors with friends and family. Feeling like my day to day activities have meaning.