Posted by Rick Civelli | 10.12.2011 | Employment, WB Surf Camp News
WB Surf Camp Instructor of the Week for 10/10/2011: Kat Brickner
This summer we had an amazing team from all over the country. Our most dedicated and furthest traveled was Kathleen Brickner. A magical last minute addition to our team, Kat drove across country from San Diego where she was pursuing a degree in Marine Biology. Coming out to the east coast for the summer was a warm retreat from the cold water of her original home in Lompoc, near Santa Barbara, California. Kat’s already enthusiastic passion for life in the ocean is highlighted by her incredible knowledge and dedication to nutrition and positive health practices. Her contagious positive attitude and energy can get anybody stoked on a gloomy day. As for Kat, she made a lasting impression on all of our WB Teen Overnight campers as we’ve never seen her bummed out about anything and we will sorely miss her in the down season. Did I mention she tandem surfs?…
1. What drew you to a position at WB Surf Camp? I typed online surf camp and cleverly because of its name I found WB “Surf Camp”
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Sarah Gerhardt because she was the first woman to surf Mavericks and that is my goal.
3. When did you start surfing and where? About six years ago at Refugio state beach
4. What is your favorite surf break? Jalama County beach
5. What inspired you to start surfing? I have always loved the ocean
6. Where was your most memorable session? When I took a wave with a dolphin and watched it surf the wave under me.
7. What is the worst wipe-out you’ve ever had? Paddling out on a large day trying to make it over the wave but the wave took me backwards over the falls. . . you bet I got out after that one.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? Dancing, Photograph, learning.
9. What is your favorite movie? I don’t really have one but I used to love Freewilly
10. What is your favorite music? Rebelution
11. What is your favorite food? Green tea ice cream
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? Probably still studying to get my PHD and traveling as much as possible
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: love, honesty, the ocean