Posted by Rick Civelli | 04.16.2012 | Surfer of the Week
WB Surf Camp Featured Surfer/New Jr Instructor of the Week for 4/16/2012: Amanda Davis
We are super excited to highlight this particular featured of the week, because Amanda was not so long ago one of our awesome campers who attended our Outer Banks Travel camp and fell in love with surfing, the ocean, and the WB Surf Camp Team! This summer she will be joining one of our flagship WB Surf Camp teams as an awesome Jr. Instructor to pass on the stoke and passion for surfing, the ocean, and life to new campers. We can’t wait to have her on board and look forward to another amazing summer with her as a part of our world class team!
1. What drew you to WB Surf Camp? I had always wanted to learn how to surf and Surf Camp seemed like the perfect place to do so. Also, the opportunity to meet lots of new and interesting people brought me to surf camp!
2. What inspired you to start surfing? It always seemed like so much fun to me! I lived in Wilmington for two years and several of my friends surfed. Although I am not the most talented surfer in the world, I do enjoy it immensely and I have Surf Camp to thank for helping me to build my confidence.
3. Which instructor had the biggest impact on you? Oh, that’s not fair. I loved all of my instructors! They were all so fun and upbeat. But if I had to choose I would say Kate Murray. She was such a cool person and I looked up to her a lot. She was fun, energetic, and crazy!! (In the good way)
4. Who is your favorite surfer and why? My buddy Hans is my favorite surfer. He is an amazing kid – smart, funny, loyal, kind, and he loves. to. SURF. He’s very talented and I have to give him some credit for inspiring me to learn how to surf.
5. When did you start surfing and where? I surfed for the first time when I was 13 in Wilmington, NC. I loved it immediately, but unfortunately, I could not pursue it again until I attended Surf Camp!
6. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? Horses, horses, horses! I’m what you would call a glorified horse nut. I’ve been riding since I was seven years old. I also swim competitively and love spending time outside! I am also an accomplished artist and photographer, and I absolutely love to travel.
7. What is your favorite surf break? I haven’t been to many different surfing locations but I would have to say my favorite was by far the Outer Banks. It’s beautiful there and the waves are awesome!
8. Describe your most memorable session? My most memorable surf session occurred while I was a camper at WB Surf Camp. I had not caught a wave all day and I was getting tired and frustrated. The instructors out in the water willed me to keep trying, however. Sadly, a year or so earlier a kid (Craig Marshall) who attended my middle school had drowned near the location we were surfing at. I had never known him very well, but after his death I donated a piece of artwork to help raise money for his foundation. I had been thinking of him since we arrived in the Outer Banks. Suddenly, one of the instructors called out to me saying a good wave was coming. I said a quick prayer to my man Craig, asking him to help me catch this wave! And, sure enough, up I went and I rode that baby in all the way to the shore. It was an amazing experience.
9. What is your favorite movie? The Little Mermaid!
10. What types of music do you listen to you? Anything and everything…. except hard metal rock. It makes my ears hurt!
11.What is your favorite food? I would have to say my favorite dish is good ol’ spaghetti and meatballs!
12.What is the best thing you liked about WB Surf Camp? EVERYTHING!!!! But no, really, the best thing about my experience at WB Surf Camp was the people. I met so many friends and we became a tight-knit group from day one. Several of the campers I surfed with still keep in touch. It’s amazing and I’m so thrilled my little brother is going to be able to have the same experience this year!
13.Which WB Surf Camp destination do you plan on travelling to next year? Costa Rica or Hawaii would be cooool!
14.The three things you value most are: Kindness, Loyalty, Respect