Posted by Rick Civelli | 02.21.2012 | Surfer of the Week
WB Surf Camp Featured Surfer of the Week 2/21/12: McKenzie Bragg
McKenzie came to WB Overnight Teen Camp this past summer as one of our first Counselor’s in Training (CIT). The CIT position was created for teens who would have otherwise aged out of our programs and wanted to take on more of a leadership positon amongst their peers. She contacted us early in the season, with what was probably the coolest school project ever. She came to learn to surf, get school credit for it, and had the time of her life! We thoroughly enjoyed getting to know McKenzie and watch her shred during her time in Wrightsville Beach.
1. What drew you to WB Surf Camp? I always wanted to surf and I knew I had a big project coming up where I had to learn a new skill, so WB Surf Camp allowed me to fulfill my dream and complete my project.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Either Bethany Hamilton because of her inspiring story, or Kelly Slater because he is so awesome.
3. When did you start surfing and where? At WB Surf Camp at the end of June.
4. What inspired you to start surfing? Watching Soul Surfer
5. Where was your most memorable session? Wrightsville Beach, NC
6. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? A nosedive that led to scraping my knees on the bottom.
7. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? Volleyball, Cheerleading, playing the guitar
8. What is your favorite movie? The Emperor’s New Groove
9. What is your favorite music? Alternative
10. What is your favorite food? Mac n’ cheese
11. What is the best thing you like about WB Surf Camp? Learning to surf with the awesome people I met.
12. The three things you value most are: My family, my friends, and my relationship with God.