Posted by Sage Island | 09.23.2014 | Employment, Surfer of the Week, WB Surf Camp News
WB Surf Camp Director – Will Ahlers
We are so excited to formally introduce our new WB Surf Camp Director – Will Ahlers. Will first caught the surf bug during his 4 years as Assistant Director of an overnight sailing and marine science camp on the beautiful shores of Cape Cod, MA. He also taught middle school Oceanography at a private school in Boston and trained surfing athletes as a Surf Strength and Conditioning Coach in Rhode Island.
Will is an avid surfer, waterman, and is a true steward of the marine environment. Before he fell in love with surfing, he obtained his bachelors degree in physical education from Keene State College in New Hampshire and grew up enjoying big airs as a freestyle skier on the mountains of New England. Will joined WB Surf Camp last January, has loved every minute of his first season, and is beyond stoked to continue to live aloha and lead the WB Surf Camp team into its 14th year!
Keep reading to find out a little bit more about our surf stoked Director from New England…
1. What drew you to a position at WB Surf Camp?
– WB Surf Camp’s strong and ambitious mission statement was the most enticing aspect about working as a leader in their company. I can’t think of anything more fulfilling than sharing my passion for surfing, marine education, stewardship, and changing the lives of others using the incredibly positive powers of the ocean as a mechanism. I knew I would get to work with the best people this world has to offer because WB Surf Camp holds the highest standards for its employees and as a company across the board.
2. In what way has the ocean impacted your life?
– I am fortunate enough to say that the ocean has profoundly impacted my life in many different ways. I am a true believer in the oceans great power to heal us as human beings. The ocean continually sheds a new light on the respect and appreciation I have for my own life. It has also shown me more joy than I could ever have imagined possible. Surfing has an innate ability to make you completely appreciative of the present moment. Some of my happiest moments in life have not only been while I was surfing, but also when I have shared the stoke of someone’s first wave.
3. What is your favorite place you’ve traveled to?
– I have blessed to have visited some absolutely incredible places on this great earth. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Kenya. As a 20 year-old, I was chosen to be a part of a mission trip to Kenya with my local church group. The life perspective I learned from the selfless and grateful people of Kenya has been a cornerstone for my core values and faith.
4. Who/what is your biggest inspiration?
– My biggest inspirations are my family and friends. Life is all about building relationships and constantly trying to improve yourself to reach your highest potential. I have an incredibly supportive and loving family and group of friends that are great role models who constantly push me to do great things with my life.
5. What are some of your interests outside of surfing?
– When I am not surfing, I love being physically active in any way that I can. Volleyball, SUP, baseball, basketball, soccer, skateboarding, yoga, and free diving are just a few of the many activities I love to indulge in when surfing is off the table. Given the choice though, surfing always takes precedence. I am also a certified personal trainer with a specialty in surf specific coaching.
6. What is your favorite movie?
– Forest Gump – Talk about a feel good movie! The music, life lessons, and amazing nods to major historical events make it a must watch for me every time its on TV.
7. What is your favorite music?
– I love all types of music; classic rock, roots, reggae, alternative, old school rap…hands down though, I love live music and have a deep respect for anybody that can write and perform music in front of a crowd.
8. What is your favorite food?
– Mexican – there is nothing better than a solid burrito after a good surf session. I love being healthy and constantly finding new ways to improve my diet, but I am a sucker for a big burrito or some fish tacos dowsed in hot sauce.
9. Where do you see yourself in five years?
– I hope to have a family, a house by the beach, and to still be doing what I love and making a positive difference in peoples’ lives.
10. In your eyes, the 3 things you value most are:
– Faith, Family, and Friends