Posted by Rick Civelli | 05.07.2014 | Surfer of the Week, Teen Camps
Surfer of the Week: Marie Rogers
The Surfer of the Week goes to a new found surfer girl, Marie Rogers. Marie joined us last summer in our Wrightsville Beach Teen Overnight Camp from a land-locked area in North Carolina to learn to surf. Since camp, her passion to become better surfer (and SUPer) have along grown along with her love for the ocean!
1. What drew you to WB Surf Camp?
I have always wanted to surf, and with having Wrightsville Beach only 2 hours away it looked like the perfect opportunity. Also I have always been drawn to the beach.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why?
I love Jack Johnson because I am very inspired by his music and when I found out he was also a professional surfer it only made me love him more!
3. When did you start surfing and where?
Last summer at WB surf camp!
4. What is your favorite surf break?
I really love Topsail Beach, the waves are great and I love the whole atmosphere around there.
5. What inspired you to start surfing?
The beach has always been really special to me. Learning to surf was an ambition of mine that WB Surf Camp helped me conquer!
6. Where was your most memorable session?
Topsail Beach, on fourth of July at camp last summer!
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had?
I had gotten up on a really big wave and I was really excited about being on it. When I fell off it wasn’t too bad, but another wave hit right after it and the leash got wrapped around my arm. The board pulled my around by my arm, and I scraped against the floor of the ocean. It hurt a lot but I got back up and had one of the best days of my life!
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing?
I love to dance, and I am on my school’s track team.
9. What is your favorite movie?
The Breakfast Club.
10. What is your favorite music?
I like a lot of different styles of music and my taste changes a lot. Right now I really like alternative music.
11. What is your favorite food?
I’m HUGE on chocolate.
12. What is the best thing you like about WB Surf Camp?
Meeting some of the most amazing people ever! I made so many new friends and we all had so much in common. It was awesome surfing with them every day.
13. The three things you value most are:
Adventure, the beauty of nature, and my friends.