Posted by Rick Civelli | 01.18.2010 | WB Surf Camp News
Surf Camp Instructor of the Week, Jan 17 – 23: Patrick Harris
Patrick is one of Surf Camp’s most enthusiastic team members. His boundless energy is apparent from the moment you meet him. He is a key instructor in our teen summer camps as well as our day camps. Patrick carries his stoke for the ocean, surfing, and life with him wherever he goes!
1. What drew you to a position at Surf Camp? I was drawn to a position at Surf Camp because I love the sport of surfing, as well as working with kids and adults. The combination of the two together sounded like a perfect match for a job that suited me just fine. I also was drawn to this company because of the amazing reputation it has, and I wanted to continue to help that reputation, and shape this company in even better ways than before. I have never had such an awesome job until now!!
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Rob Machado, because of his amazing style, and I love his barrel riding skills.
3. When did you start surfing and where? Probably around 8th grade in Wrightsville Beach.
4. What is your favorite surf break? Sandon Point in Australia! Sickest point break with perfect rights and lefts. They both go on forever!
5. What inspired you to start surfing? For me to move up from the sponge.
6. Where was your most memorable session? Wow- there are so many, I would have to say the most recent memorable session would be this past summer. Me and three of my best friends were trading barrel after barrel at a local spot and we were the only people out. Perfect waves, Warm water, Great friends, Dolphins…What more could you ask for?
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? Two years ago in February it was about 25 degrees out with a 15 degree wind chill and a serious cold front had just came through The surf was pumping. Toward the end of the session a clean up set came in and I got held under for three waves, leash snapped, worst ice cream headache I had ever experienced. I swallowed a ton of salt water and it was just not good. But I recovered. Ever since then, my winter sessions around January and February are very few and far between.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? Family, my bike, the gym, staying fit, church, making music, friends, fishing, snowboarding
9. What is your favorite movie? ELF
10. What is your favorite music? EVERYTHING, indie, electronic, Rock, MGMT, Passion Pit, Phoenix, John Butler Trio
11. What is your favorite food? Pretty much anything! As long as peanut butter isn’t included.
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? Hope to have a good job, maybe a fiancé, who knows, I’m just trying to take life one day at a time!
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: GOD, Family, Friends
Read more about Patrick: Click Here