Posted by Rick Civelli | 03.09.2010 | WB Surf Camp News
Surf Camp Instructor of the Week, Mar 7 – 13: Brian Parnagian
Brian joined the WB Surf Camp team in 2008 as Assistant Director of our teen summer surf camps. He quickly moved up the ranks to Director, and in 2009 he was Trip Leader for our Teen Barbados Surf Camp. Brian has provided countless Surf Campers with life-changing experiences, both through surfing and through education on our coastal environment. He is a truly awesome person with a big heart and many gifts to share. Read more about Brian below:
1. What drew you to a position at Surf Camp? The idea of being able to pass along my passion for our lifestyle as surfers and the gift of riding waves. Working with people of all ages not only teaching surfing, but educating them on the environmental responsibilities that come along with being a surfer is truly rewarding. Not to mention I get to spend my days in the water!
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Bobby Martinez. He’s humble, well-spoken, always full of thanks, and absolutely rips! A true role model.
3. When did you start surfing and where? I started surfing when I was 9 years old on family vacations to the Outer Banks.
4. What is your favorite surf break? Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, New Zealand
5. What inspired you to start surfing? My older brother Darren.
6. Where was your most memorable session? Surfing in the remote Catlains of southern New Zealand. Great friends, breath-taking scenery, and beautiful, empty waves. Those sessions will without a doubt, go down as some of the best and most memorable of my lifetime.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? Body slammed on the bottom in Mainland Mex. I lost my board, got the wind knocked out of me and was churning in the rips of the impact zone. I spent twenty minutes trying to swim in while taking sets on the head.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I’ve been playing music for practically my entire life. Currently, I’m in the process of recording a solo album and play in a jazz/funk/rock trio named ‘Nicotine & Brown’. I love photography and am also pursuing a Masters of Architecture at New Jersey Institute of Technology. And of course, spending time with my family and friends.
9. What is your favorite movie? Forest Gump
10. What is your favorite music? My taste in music is wide and varied. I love everything from rock n’ roll to bluegrass, jazz to hip-hop. Anything that inspires.
11. What is your favorite food? Sushi
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? I hope to be working with my degree in Architecture. Ultimately, designing and creating 100% off-the-grid, sustainable, green custom homes someplace where the weather is good and the waves are even better!
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: God, my family and friends, and mindful living.
To learn more about Brian, Click Here.