Posted by Rick Civelli | 04.06.2010 | Employment
Surf Camp Instructor of the Week, April 4 – 10: Jarrod Covington
Jarrod is entering his third season at Surf Camp and we are stoked to have him back for another awesome summer! Jarrod is a very strong member of our team, and in the past few years he has facilitated surfing lessons, instructed in our teen overnight camps, and co-led our 2008 Teen Costa Rica Surf Camp. Jarrod has amazing patience and a wealth of knowledge about surfing and the ocean that make him a highly skilled instructor. And not to mention a great smile that is sure to brighten your day!
1. What drew you to a position at Surf Camp? Who doesn’t want to get paid getting people stoked on shredding and throwing shakas all day? The people are amazing as well. It’s like working with your best friends.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Shaun Cansdell and Tim Curran are my favorite surfers mainly because of their incredible airs and approach to each wave. They make small waves look amazingly fun.
3. When did you start surfing and where? I first started surfing back home in Atlantic Beach, NC when I was 12 years old.
4. What is your favorite surf break? My favorite surf spot is an island near my home that gets really good on south swells and NE winds. Hurricanes are the best.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? The movie Surf Ninjas! It fed my inner youthful desire to become a skilled ninja and surf like one also.
6. Where was your most memorable session? My most memorable session was during Hurricane Bill in the Outer Banks. It was pretty heavy and nice to score good barrels near home.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? I accidentally ran into someone who was swimming in the shorebreak. I felt terrible, and they were not happy, either!
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I really enjoy anything outside. Kiteboarding, spearfishing, skateboarding, and getting nautical are some of my hobbies. Outside that, I’m a bit of a nerd and enjoy fixing things and watching financial markets.
9. What is your favorite movie? My favorite movie would most likely be Surf Ninjas. I have seen it over 100 times throughout my life, although it could be the worst movie ever made.
10. What is your favorite music? Whatever is fresh on the ipod is my favorite. Right now: Miley Cyrus, Chiddy Bang, Demarco, Deadmau5, ASG, Ghostland Observatory
11. What is your favorite food? I love some fresh spanish mackerel, fried okra, and mom’s cornbread. And cheese of course.
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? I’ll be on WallStreet slinging stocks like a 2nd grader slings mud. Surf trips will frequently be made of course.
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: I treasure my relationship with God, Family, and the spectacular beauty and power of nature and its effects on the mind and soul.
To learn more about Jarrod, Click Here.