Posted by Rick Civelli | 12.14.2009 | WB Surf Camp News
Surf Camp Instructor of the Week Dec 13th – 19th: Mark McCann
1. What drew you to a position at Surf Camp?
I was drawn to Surf Camp because of its mission statement and the obvious perks to working a job that revolves around the beach.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Joel Tutor has been my favorite surfer for a long time. I think he is well rounded and kills it on a log!
3. When did you start surfing and where? I started surfing after moving to N.C. from Colorado in the late 90’s. My place was less than a half mile from Ft. Fisher, I got lucky.
4. What is your favorite surf break? I don’t really have a favorite surf break these days, I have favorite sessions that are forever etched in my memory though.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? I have always wanted to ride waves. I started at Jones Beach when I was a kid. I would body surf all day!!
6. Where was your most memorable session? It was a series of sessions from a strong south swell created by a hurricane at Long Beach in NC. I would wake up at like 4:30 or 5:00 to make it to the beach at sunrise and surf until I couldn’t paddle anymore. They were the best waves I have ever surfed with some of my best friends.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? I fall a lot. I think the worst one took me out for like 3 or 4 months. I cracked a rib and couldn’t lay on a board for a while. I have had worse falls but none have kept me out of the water that long.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? Music, Skateboarding, anything that makes me feel like I am still a kid.
9. What is your favorite movie? Just one? I love comedy and anything that makes me think…..but mostly comedy.
10. What is your favorite music? Tough question. It’s kinda like that favorite surf break question. There is no singular answer. I connect music to everything, especially memories. For example: Fresh and I runnin camps in the summer is a song called Uptown Top Ranking by Althea and Donna. Skateboarding in my parents basement because the ground was covered with snow is Social Distortion and The Descendents. That fresh powder tree run in Durango…Heart of Gold by Neil Young.
11. What is your favorite food? So many favorites….I guess that’s the problem…
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? I see myself surfing with my son Ryder.
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: My family, my friends and our oceans.
Learn more about Mark here: Click Here