Posted by Rick Civelli | 02.23.2010 | WB Surf Camp News
Surf Camp Instructor of the Week, Feb 21 – 27: Jason Andre
Jason Andre’s passion for surfing and the environment is evident from his diverse, unique background. He has worked as a Director for UNCW’s marine science summer camps, he’s been a sponsored surfer by In the Eye Surfboards since he started surfing, DaKine for ten years, and Ripcurl for over six years, and has worked as a senior diver for the North Carolina Aquariums. He is a Director of our Wrightsville Beach teen summer camps during the summer season and works in our administrative office on program development as well. Jason’s expertise in the areas of surfing, traveling, and environmental conservation makes him a wealth of knowledge for both campers and fellow staff.
1. What drew you to a position at Surf Camp? I had met Rick before out at Masonboro and when I was directing Marine Quest post-college. I’ve always been stoked and held a high respect for his Surf Camp because of all the marine bio, environmental conservation, and ocean education he incorporates. So when I met Chelsea at the UNCW job fair last year and began talking about my past work and life experience, she insisted I send them a resume and application…and here I am. I believe my mother in law would call it synchronicity.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? My dad, because he is Ironman. Now you know!
3. When did you start surfing and where? I first started surfing when I was 8 or 9 in Cape Hatteras with my friends
4. What is your favorite surf break? The first jetty at the Lighthouse in Cape Hatteras has been and always will be my favorite break, because its where I’ve gotten some of the best, scariest, and funnest waves with my friends and family. It’s where I fell in love with the ocean.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? It’s just what we did when we were kids. If you live on Hatteras Island you surf!
6. Where was your most memorable session? Aside from every session at the lighthouse, a couple sessions in Australia with my best friends, whales and dolphins swimming by, decent surf, but just a perfect moment in time.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? Getting raked across a couple reefs is bad, but it had to have been last fall during Hurricane Danny when I straightened out on a closeout and the lip landed square across my shoulders, blew my knee out, ripped my wetsuit top off and made me feel like I was getting electrocuted underwater, sound effects and everything.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I love creating, whether it be music, video, woodworking, you name it.
9. What is your favorite movie? It used to be Braveheart and may still be, but Lord of the Rings is up there alongside Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
10. What is your favorite music? Music made fearlessly with a purpose and a passion.
11. What is your favorite food? Fresh tuna/mahi/wahoo is a close tie with pizza.
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? I lost the ability to see the future and know everything after I was no longer a teenager. Life just keeps surprising me…
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: Selflessness, humbleness, and peacefulness
Learn more about Jason: Click Here