Posted by Rick Civelli | 05.09.2012 | Surfer of the Week, WB Surf Camp News
Instructor of the Week for 5/9/12: Austin Mann
Austin and his family have been a part of the WB Surf Camp family for a long time. His mom Kathy has travelled with us several times in our to Costa Rica Surf Camp and Caribbean Surf Camp. The Mann family has volunteered for our Aloha for Alopecia Charity Surf Camp and we’ve spent many hours enjoying the ocean with them. Austin is an awesome teen and we are stoked that he will be joining us for the summer as a professional surf instructor.
1. What drew you to a position at WB Surf Camp? I really like the ocean, surfing, and teaching others about it.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? I like Craig Anderson a lot because he doesn’t just focus on contest surfing. He also has a great style when he surfs and a nice mustache.
3. When did you start surfing and where? I started when I was 8 at Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina.
4. What is your favorite surf break? I have only really surfed here so I would have to say the south end.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? I went to the beach a lot and boogie boarded as a kid and surfing was the next step up.
6. Where was your most memorable session? Surfing 12-foot swell at Cane Garden Bay when I went to Tortola over spring break.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? On a hurricane swell about 2 years ago I went over the falls and when I tried swimming up I hit my head on the sand. It took me a while to get to the surface and another wave hit me before I got a breath.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I play tennis and I also like to skateboard and do stuff with friends.
9. What is your favorite music? My Favorite music is rock bands like The Black Keys, Foster the People, etc.
10. What is your favorite food? My favorite for is a hamburger.
11. Where do you see yourself in five years? In five years I want to have graduated college and be in law school.
12. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: 1. Family and friends 2. Religion 3. Surfing