Posted by Rick Civelli | 12.02.2009 | WB Surf Camp News
Surf Camp Instructor of the Week Dec 6th – 12th, 2009: Sarah Kannon
1. What drew you to a position at Surf Camp? I first heard of Surf Camp through Ryan Marchi who could not say enough positive things about it. After moving to Wilmington I had to give up being a Tae Kwon Do instructor so I was thrilled about the idea of teaching something else I loved.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? I think Rob Machado is an awesome person and surfer but I like how enthusiastic Gerry Lopez is. He has one of the most casual styles along with a contagious smile.
3. When did you start surfing and where? I started surfing when I was ten or eleven. I had stayed the summer at Holden Beach with my best friend and her brother’s friends surfed so of course, being tomboys, we did too. Living about two hours away from the closest beach, I stopped surfing for about two years and really picked it back up again when I was thirteen.
4. What is your favorite surf break? I fell in love with White Sands Beach in Oahu, Hawaii. The waves were not that big but the scenery was absolutely gorgeous and the natives were friendly.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? My family does Easter and Thanksgiving at Ocean Isle. My cousins from Folly Beach would bring their surfboards and I loved to tag along to watch them surf. I loved the outdoors and enjoyed learning new things and surfing looked sooooo fun. After learning in Holden, they started helping me out a little bit.
6. Where was your most memorable session? My most memorable session was in the Outer Banks with one of my best friends. The waves were a fun chest high and we surfed till about ten that night thanks to a full moon and campfires.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? My worst wipeout session was at Wrightsville when I was in about tenth grade. I forgot what hurricane was off the coast but my dad woke me up and said I could skip school because the waves would be really good. We drove 2 hours and didn’t see anyone out…. (Because the waves were out of CONTROL by then). So he told me to go out and try it. And I did. And I am thankful to be here today.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I enjoy… running, scuba diving, Tae Kwon Do, hiking, bouldering, soccer, painting/ drawing, snowboarding/skiing, riding bikes, swimming, football, hide and seek, building…
9. What is your favorite movie? Since I can remember, my dad, brother and I would stay up eating dessert and watching TV. They definitely played a role in why I am into action and adventure movies. I love the Bourne movies and James Bond.
10. What is your favorite music? I like a lot of different types of music…reggae, bluegrass, rock, classic rock… Chris Powell really got me into MGMT.
11. What is your favorite food? I would say ice-cream…but actual food food, it’s a mix between pasta and sushi.
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: God, family, & friends.
Learn more about Sarah by reading her instructor bio on our website: Click Here