Posted by Rick Civelli | 12.29.2010 | Employment, WB Surf Camp News
WB Surf Camp Instructor of the Week for December 26th: Ben Goodpasture
Ben Goodpasture joined the WB Surf Camp team in the summer of 2010. His background in management, coupled with his passion for surfing and strong desire to connect with others, led him to apply for an Assistant Director position with our Teen Wrightsville Beach Overnight Surf Camps. Ben instantly became a solid part of his team, forming strong bonds with both fellow instructors and campers. His life path took him to California once the summer ended, and he plans on returning to Wrightsville Beach for a second season of surf, marine science education, and FUN!!! Ben is a very special person with a twinkle in his eye that tells you he is going to do great things!
1. What drew you to a position at WB Surf Camp? Travel. When I first stumbled across the website and saw all the camps in far away places like Costa Rica, BVI and Hawaii; I knew this was for me. My friend Carrie had nothing but praise for this company. The rest is history.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? I know this is cliche, but I would have to say Kelly Slater. For obvious reasons, the guy has been at the top of the sport for 3 generations. Kelly has style and makes the most outrageous waves. His surfing is so inspiring to watch. It’s not just his style but he has so much wisdom. Kelly has visions and is motivated to move the sport forward. I like how he carries himself, people respect and honor him all the time.
3. When did you start surfing and where? I started surfing in the Outer Banks around 2004. I finally had enough money to buy a board – 7’10” Oceanside Spoiler fun board. I still ride that beast… it’s just fun!
4. What is your favorite surf break? My favorite wave is Dominicalito, Costa Rica. It’s this really fun left hand point that breaks when everything else is closing out. My brother and I went exploring one day and found this wave, surprisingly no one was out surfing it. It was overhead and perfect!
5. What inspired you to start surfing? I have always loved the ocean, but Endless Summer 2 inspired me to go to Costa Rica.
6. Where was your most memorable session? The day after OBX surf camp was most memorable for me. Patrick, Glen and I scored perfect glassy conditions out front. We watched the sun come up while surfing a peak all to ourselves for hours. I was sore for days after that swell. All I can think about is Patrick freaking out after every wave. His passion is so contagious. My friends made that day special. “OUT THE BACK”!!
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? It was an epic day of 2-3 footers out front. Kate Murray and I were tandem surfing. The wipeout went something like this – I landed on Kate and the 10 foot board landed on me. It was a mess.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? Adventures with close friends – rock climbing, traveling, ninja, and loving people. Celebrating people with good food and wine and music.
9. What is your favorite movie? Braveheart
10. What is your favorite music? I love worship music – United Pursuit Band, Josh Garrels, Cory Asbury, Jon Foreman and anything from Bethel.
11. What is your favorite food? Mexican food
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? Hawaii
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: My relationship with Jesus, friends/family and good food!