Family Surf Camp at Wrightsville Beach
Our week long unique WB Surf Camps are located in the warm-water beach town of Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Our professionally trained instructors will teach you technical skills along with how to predict, select, and judge waves while building your confidence in the fundamentals of the “Sport of Kings.” All surf camps have a minimum student-to-instructor ratio of 3:1, and are staffed by professional instructors. Our team consists of trained educators with combined teaching in the thousands of hours on all levels and to all types of students.
Why not learn to surf while taking advantage of warm, emerald green waters and white sandy beaches, and enjoying a week of fun in the sun? We offer both locals and vacationers alike a surfing experience they will never forget. Bring your friends, family, or come by yourself and see why Surfer Magazine rated Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina one of America’s top 10 surfing towns. Read about us in Southern Living!
It’s amazing how the proper surfing instruction from our world class coaches will accelerate your learning curve and remove some of the frustration most beginners face. Our certified instructors are experienced, knowledgeable, friendly and will coach you in your rapid and safe progression.
Each WB Surf Camp is 5 days long and is taught with a progressional methodology. Camps are filled on a first come/first serve basis. WB Surf Camp times are 7:45 AM – 10:00 AM Monday through Friday and we meet at Wrightsville Beach access #4.
- Extensive daily surfing instruction at perfect beginner beach breaks
- Personalized 3:1 student to instructor coaching and training by certified lifeguards
- All high quality equipment (epoxy surfboard rental, UV 50 longsleeve rash guard)
- Total instruction time of 10 hours
- Full time staff beach lifeguard monitoring the shore break and your water exit
- WB Surf Camp t-shirt, Recycle Tote Bag, Stickers
- WB Surf Camp Surfing Etiquette Guide
- Surftificate of achievement, 8″ x 12″ Group Photo
- Professional staff photographer will shoot your surfing
- Sponsored by Quiksilver and Roxy
- Ice Cold drinking water and shade tent
This low enrollment Surf Camp sells out every year and is for ages 11 and up. To secure your spot now, please select from the available date(s) listed below.
When you see the WB Surf Camp tent and flags flying in the breeze, your excitement builds even more for your first day camp! During “Ground School” instructors will have you paddling, popping up, and learning to fall safely on your board before we even hit the ocean. You are provided with a safe 3:1 camper to instructor ratio, ensuring you receive personalized attention. You may stand up on your first wave, or it may take you a few tries; every person is different. Now you are well on your way to learning the skill set to become a lifelong surfer!
After a thorough stretch, we’ll spend a few minutes discussing wave dynamics and the different types of surf breaks, illustrating there’s more to being a surfer than riding a wave. You paddle out, an instructor by your side offering words of encouragement. When the moment’s right, you’ll feel a push and your board gliding smoothly into the wave as your instructor says “Pop Up!” You’ll practice sitting on your board and turning, a necessary maneuver when surfing.
Today’s discussion is about surfboard design, which gives a fascinating glimpse into the history of surfing. We’ll also learn how to properly care for our surfboards, demonstrate how to wax a board, and prepare a board for travel. As you’re paddling into waves today, you feel yourself getting stronger and your paddling improving. You’re catching more waves today and getting a better grasp on how to read the waves.
Your connection to the ocean has gotten so strong, and you’re truly realizing the importance of protecting our coastal environment. To enforce this, we’ll split into groups for a short beach cleanup followed by an assessment of what we find where some cool prizes are handed out to the winners. You may start paddling into your own waves today as you become more accustomed to timing and positioning. This is one of the more challenging aspects of surfing; the only way to learn it is with experience. Your instructor will provide coaching and encouragement as you work on catching your own waves.
We’ll round out the week with a discussion on surfing etiquette and the specific rules all surfers should follow. Surfing etiquette is a critical part of surfing that WB Surf Camp emphasizes in all our programs. Your final surf session is truly epic, all smiles and waves! You may even be riding down the line today! By now, you’ve surfed so much that your body is sore and your arms feel like jello. Congratulations: you’re now part of the WB Surf Camp Family, and we welcome you back soon for more waves, friends, and fun!
There are many options available. Please contact our office for a list of our favorite places to stay.
The Beldings, Hillsborough, NC – “ I am 59 years old, just had my first WB Surf Camp lesson, and I loved it! My two daughters also participated in the lesson, and are now very enthusiastic about surfing. Instructors Ben and Meg were fantastic, very positive and encouraging. My youngest daughter had a little difficulty with standing up on the surfboard initially. As the lesson ended, Ben had her try once more, saying he knew she could do it. On that final try, she stood and rode the wave all the way in! I have a picture of both my daughters riding that final wave. Great way to end the lesson! I’ll definitely be back for more.”
Anita, New Berlin, IL – “WB Surf Camp was a great experience for myself and my two children ages 16 and 20. Matt was a very good instructor and overflowing in patience with us and the waves. I would highly recommend Surf Camp and Matt to my family and friends.”
Jennifer, Furlong, PA – “It is difficult to engage teenagers but… you did it! From advising them NOT to each shark soup to keeping them energized while paddling through breakers to the final moment of actually standing on the board and “surfing” my kids loved the entire experience. Thank you for a great day!”Diana, Buffalo, NY – “After I caught my first wave, I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. The next day, I continued to smile when Ryan complimented me on my “pop-up” and asked me, “Are you a professional?”
Chris, Tega Cay, SC – “WB Surf Camp made it easy and enjoyable for my family to take the plunge and catch some waves. From the registration process, through the onsite instruction, and right through the follow-up process they exceeded all of my expectations. The WB Surf Camp apprach to managing their business and educating not only my family, but the greater surfing community, is a testament to an organization that takes the time to do things right. I would highly recommend WB Surf Camp to anyone looking to learn about surfing, surf culture, and/or how to treat their customers right – great job. Thanks for a great day Catching Some Waves!”
Sonya, Cary, NC – “Being a 45-year-old who has never surfed before, I was quite apprehensive. However, our instructors were extremely positive & reassuring. They also took great care of our two teenage boys & made sure they were both safe AND having a great time.”
Maranda, North Myrtle Beach, SC – “WB Surf Camp was awesome! Our instructor Matt was extremely personable, it was like a friend was teaching us to surf instead of a stranger. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn to surf.”
The Strobins, Chapel Hill, NC – “Our experience with WB Surf Camp was fantastic! Wonderful instructor, great equipment, beautiful location, and nice warm water made the entire experience memorable and what I hope to be the foundation of future surfing experiences. Thanks so much!”
Kristi, Chesterfield, SC – “The waves were perfect and the instruction was educational. Not only did we have an awesome time surfing and enjoying the waves, but we learned some valuable things about the ocean and furthering our participation in the surfing community.”
If I have never surfed before, is this camp for me?
- About 90% of our students have never surfed before, let alone held a surfboard. Our program is tailored to beginners. The only prerequisites are that you are able to swim and ready to have the time of your life!
Do teens do more than one session a summer?
- They sure do. They not only participate for several weeks during the summer, they usually return for several years. Our small student to instructor ratio of 3:1 allows personalized coaching to continued skill development, plus it’s just so much fun!
Where does the camp take place?
- Our Wrightsville Beach Surf Camp meets at Public Access #4 on Wrightsville Beach.
What time does the camp run?
- Each session runs from 7:45 am to 10:00 am, Monday through Friday.
How long do your daily seminars last?
- They last on average 15 minutes depending on how many questions are asked.
What do I need to bring?
- The only things you need to bring are a bathing suit, sunscreen, towel, and water bottle. We recommend female clients wear board shorts to protect sensitive skin.
Is there a lifeguard at the beach you use? I’m worried about some of the safety aspects of a surf camp.
- All our camp instructors hold current American Red Cross Certifications including CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid. We’re very proud of our impeccable safety record!
What are the ages of your day campers?
- Everyone ages 11 and up are invited to participate in this exciting learn-to-surf camp!
We’re traveling to North Carolina from out of town just to come to your camp. Are there hotels, rental properties, or campsites nearby that you can recommend?
- We maintain a list of recommended campsites, hotels, and real estate companies in the area. Please email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to provide it!
Do you have a valid permit from the Town of Wrightsville Beach to operate on the Beach Front?
- Not only do we have one, we were involved in creating the process. This ensures that we have current liability insurance and workman’s comp insurance. All of our instructors carry a copy of this permit at all times. It’s the law in Wrightsville Beach!
Do you have insurance?
- We carry a comprehensive insurance package, including general liability.