Preparing for your Lesson
WB Surf Camp would like to extend a warm welcome to you as a participant in our Carolina Surf School. Our founders, Rick and Jen Civelli, look forward to having you participate in our exciting program.
Please review the following information to help you prepare for your lesson, and ensure that you and your instructor have the best time out in the water.
- Ensure that you have sent us all of your required paperwork.
- If you booked your lesson a few weeks in advance, then it’s a great idea to follow our Pre-Surf Exercise Guide to get your muscles loose and ready for surfing.
- Eat a light meal.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes prior to the lesson time.
- Plan to arrive early to find parking and your instructor.
- At all lesson locations, your instructor will be wearing a red WB Surf Camp T-shirt or a red rashguard, so they should be easily spotted.
What to Bring
In order to provide you with best possible experience, please review the following list of items that you should bring to your lesson. We will providing you with our safe, high quality surfboards, a UPF 50 long-sleeved rashguard, and professional surf instruction.
What to bring:
- Arrive wearing your swimsuit, ready to hit the water
- Your signed Release of Liability forms
- Water Bottle
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Money for the parking meters (see the PARKING tab for more details)
- Cash to tip your instructor, if so inclined
- For lessons from mid-September through May: A wetsuit and possibly gloves and booties to protect you from cool water temperatures. Please contact our Surf School Coordinator to arrange a wetsuit rental prior to your lesson: 910.256.SURF.
Directions to Lesson Locations
Directions to Wrightsville Beach Access #4:
- Coming North on US-17 BUS/Market Street, turn right onto Eastwood Road/US-74E
- Continue on US-74E, crossing over the drawbridge onto the island
- Veer slight left onto W. Salisbury Street
- Turn left on N. Lumina Ave. and continue until you arrive at 2398 North Lumina Avenue/Public Beach Access #4, on your right
- Your instructor will meet you on the beach, at the Lifeguard Stand at Access #4
Directions to Surf City on Topsail Island:
- From Jacksonville, follow US-17 S. to Holly Ridge
- Turn left onto NC-50/East Ocean Road, continuing on NC-210/NC-50, crossing over the swing bridge
- NC-50 becomes Roland Avenue, which you will follow until you take a left on N. New River Drive
- Make the first right onto Greensboro Avenue
- Your instructor will meet you on the beach, at the public access at the intersection of Greensboro Avenue and North Shore Drive, which is two blocks to the left/north of the Surf City Pier
Directions to Kure Beach, Fort Fisher Recreation Area:
- Take I-40 East until it turns into NC-132
- Continue south on NC-132, driving through Wilmington
- US-421 joins NC-132; continue south on US-421, following it through the towns of Carolina Beach and Kure Beach
- Turn left into the state recreation area on Loggerhead Road: Parking and the Visitor’s Center are to the left
- The recreation area may also be reached from Brunswick County via the Southport/Fort Fisher ferry, which crosses the Cape Fear River. After exiting the ferry, turn right onto Loggerhead Road. Parking and the visitor’s center are to the left.
Parking at the Beach
Parking at the area beaches can be challenging during the summer months. Please allow at least 15 minutes to find beach parking, and even more on weekends, as the lots fill up quickly. Below you can find details about each location's parking procedures and policies.
- $2.00 per hour or $14 for a day pass
- If you park in one of the large lots at Wrightsville Beach, there are pay stations that accept cash and credit cards.
- If you park on the street, you will need change for the meters, or you can pay by phone.
- For specific details on parking at Wrightsville Beach, please click here.
- Kure Beach and Topsail Island beaches: parking is free
- For more details on parking at Kure Beach, click here.
- For more details on parking in Surf City, TI, please click here.
- Carolina Beach: $1.25 per hour or $7 for a day pass
- For more details on parking at Carolina Beach, please click here.
After your Lesson
- Be sure to stretch out when you get home. Surfing activates muscles that are infrequently used, so you might be a little sore the next day.
- Drink lots of water.
- Bask in the glow of your accomplishment!
If you have additional questions, please call us toll free at 1.866.421.WAVE, or visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.