Preparing for your Lesson
We can’t wait to paddle out with you! Please review the following information to help you prepare for your lesson, tour, or fitness class. These details will ensure that you and your instructor have the best experience possible.
- Ensure that you have sent us all of your required paperwork, or that you bring it with you the day of the lesson to give to your instructor
- If you booked your lesson a few weeks in advance, then it’s a great idea to follow our Pre-Surf Exercise Guide, to get your muscles loose and ready for SUPing.
- Eat a light meal
- Drink plenty of water
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes prior to the lesson time
- Plan to arrive early to find parking and your instructor
- At all lesson locations, your instructor
will be wearing a red WB Surf Camp Team T-shirt
What to Bring
We will provide you with safe, high quality Stand Up Paddleboards, paddles, PFDs, a UPF 50 short-sleeved rashguard, and professional instruction. Please review the following list of items that you should bring to your lesson.
What to bring:
- Arrive wearing your swimsuit, ready to hit the water
- Your signed Registration and Release of Liability forms
- Water Bottle
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Money for the parking meters (see the PARKING tab for more details) Ocean lessons only
- Cash to tip your instructor, if so inclined
- For lessons from mid-September through May: A wetsuit and possibly gloves and booties to protect you from cool water temperatures. Please contact our Surf School Coordinator to arrange a wetsuit rental prior to your lesson: 910.256.7873.
Directions to Lesson Locations
Directions to WB Surf Camp SUP Launch:
- Coming North on US-17 BUS/Market Street, turn right onto Eastwood Road/US-74E
- Continue on US-74E, crossing over the drawbridge onto the island
- Take the first right onto Keep Street by the Redix store
- Continue down Keel Street and park in the Motts Channel Marina Parking lot
- Meet your instructor under the gazebo
Parking at the Beach
Parking at the area beaches can be challenging during the summer months. Please allow at least 15 minutes to find beach parking, and even more on weekends, as the lots fill up quickly. Below you can find details about each locations parking procedures and policies.
- $2.50 per hour and starts at 9:00am
- If you park in one of the large lots at Wrightsville Beach, there are pay stations that accept cash and credit cards.
- If you park on the street, you will need change for the meters, or you can pay by phone.
- For specific details on parking at Wrightsville Beach, please click here.
After your Lesson
- Be sure to stretch out when you get home. Paddling activates muscles that are infrequently used, so you might be a little sore the next day.
- Drink lots of water.
- CHeck our FB page to see some pics of your adventure
If you have additional questions, please call us toll free at 1.866.421.WAVE, or visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.